Security system

Hochland Park million thieves betrays the city’s CCTV security system

Staff reporter

ONE of the G4S workers tasked with guarding the home of the Chinese national and businessman in Hochland Park who was robbed of millions at gunpoint yesterday said it appears the thieves have now mastered the art of challenging the security and protection industry, making it difficult for them to be brought to justice under the law.

He made the remarks during a visit to this region by Informanté, adding that Windhoek has now become a dangerous place for everyone, including those responsible for ensuring the safety and protection of others.

“The worst thing is that they made sure to avoid all security cameras in that area and took away the storage devices for the cameras in the house, including the recording laptop,” said he declared.

Pictured: G4S employee at the recently stolen Hochland Park House. Photo: Samuel Shinedima.

The guard claimed that his female colleagues who were on duty during the incident were choked with clothes in their mouths, an attempt to stop him from screaming for help, while forcing her to give them access to the house, at which he thinks she endured great trauma.

After gaining access to the house, they allegedly went straight to the Chinese, who was in the house preparing a meal for their employees at their construction sites, and asked for directions to the safe where the money was kept. In the meantime, everyone in the house was reportedly locked in a certain room.

“It was early in the day when it happened. The street was a bit quiet as most people were at work and she had nowhere to get help. The thieves came out of nowhere and did what they did. I really felt sorry for my colleague, but at least she’s safe. Her life matters,” he added.

Meanwhile, City Police Chief Abraham Kanime said the whereabouts of the fugitives are still unknown, adding that the City Police CCTV camera in that area could not capture them.

“It looks like they used a different route and we are going to block off this area, to avoid incidents of this nature in the future,” Kanime said.
Kanime further shared that the team is busy with work and police investigations are ongoing. As things stand, no arrests or recoveries have been made.

The theft incident reportedly took place around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday when Sun Gong, a Chinese national, was detained at gunpoint while six armed robbers stole more than N$1.1 million. The theft also included $10,000 in cash and valuables worth N$2 million.